Contact us for your FREE Consultation


Paternity Lawyer in Greenwood MS

Paternity Attorney in Greenwood MSAn increasing number of children are being born out of wedlock. When a child is born outside of a marital relationship to unwed parents, the law presumes that the birth mother has sole legal custody of that child until a birth father establishes paternity.

Paternity plays a huge role in child custody, child support, and visitation issues. Establishing paternity is the legal process that identifies a man as a child’s father. It is an essential part of protecting the parental rights of both the mother and the father, as well as the right of the child. It is the only way for the father to gain any legal rights, for the mother to obtain a child support order, and for the child to establish the identify of the birth father and receive support. Abraham & Associates understand the impact of paternity actions on the lives of everyone involved. Whether you are establishing or disputing a paternity issue, we can guide you through the process in the most efficient manner while protecting your legal rights and advancing your best interests.

Voluntarily Acknowledge Paternity With A Paternity Attorney.

When babies are delivered to unmarried parents, they have the right to make a voluntary acknowledgement of paternity. However, such acknowledgment is not legally binding and does not legally establish paternal rights for the father. It is important to know that voluntary acknowledgment does not yet give an unmarried father custodial rights. To conclusively establish paternity, the unmarried father will need a court order resolving him to be the father.

Establishing Paternity through a Court Order

The process of establishing paternity starts by filing a petition with the court requesting a paternity test. With the advent of DNA testing, a court can now resolve paternity issue in a relatively fast and easy procedure. If the results indicate a huge probability that the man is the child’s biological father, the law will presume paternity and the court will then issue an order establishing him as the child’s father.

Seeking Child Support through a Paternity Test

An unmarried mother is not entitled to child support until paternity can be established. If you were never married to your child’s father and attempts to collect child support have failed, our attorneys can help bring a legal action to enforce child support payments through paternity actions.

See also: Family Law

To learn more about your legal rights in a Mississippi paternity issue, contact Abraham & Associates now.

Contact Us Today
305 W. Market St.
Greenwood, MS 38930
Phone: 662-453-3000
Mon – Fri 8:00 Am – 5:00 PM
Abraham & Rideout_Logo

305 West Market Street • Greenwood, MS 38930

Phone: 662-453-3000 • Email:

"The information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation. We invite you to contact us and welcome your calls, letters and electronic mail. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established."

Call Us Today